Thursday, May 4, 2017

Last day in Sikalongo/Packing Woes

This is my last night in Sikalongo. As I packed I felt like a child at the end of a stay at a relative's house where they have a cousin there of the same age who just became thier bestie! I don't want to leave, but I must. I cannot bear to be away from my girls any longer and I have lots to take care of in the States. I do, however, have this distinct feeling . . . urge . . . certainty, that I will be back to Zambia.

This morning I visited Bina-Doris's house and got to meet her adorable youngest son and grandchildren. Ba-Mulenga took me there the long way, which I discovered on my way back, so that I could see the Sikalongo secondary school. It had some beautiful wall paintings of Tonga words that my girls are going to love seeing. I watched Bina-Doris make some Nshima and hung out with the kids. They taught me some Tonga words and doubted that I could jump over this 4ft wide pit that was about 5.5 feet deep. I proved them wrong. Easily. The girls picked some flowers and put them in thier hair and showed me the goats and got some little chickens to come over to greet me. I love being with people. My trips to the villages and visiting the homes of the people here have been my favorite moments by far besides my conversations with Dr. Thomas.

Later in the evening I was invited to dinner by Reverend Nseemani and his wife. We had a great conversation about politics and history. I met his beautiful family and his tough little 3yr old son who I had to work extremely hard to get barely crack a smirk. We ate some Nshima, cabbage and beef and he drove me back to Dr. Thomas's house, which was about 130 meters away (we needed the car to pack, I'm not THAT lazy).

Tomorrow we drive down to Livingstone where we will stay until we both fly out on Monday. I will get to see Victoria Falls in the afternoon and go to the Chobe game reserve on Saturday which will be a whole day trip.

Tonight I learned some things. First, I REALLY hate to pack. Second, I'm REALLY terrible at packing. Lastly, packing REALLY stinks.

Here are some pics of the cutie pies I hung out with at Bina-Doris's house, Bina-Doris and Ba-Mulenga, and Reverend Nseemani's family and me striking a pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment