Wednesday, April 19, 2017

An about face and back on souvenirs

After learning about, and witnessing, the economic struggles of the average Zambian I felt a bit guilty that I was planning to buy souvenirs. Why do I get to spend money to take nice things home when most of the people here are struggling to stay afloat and often go without things that they need. We Americans have so many more resources available from the government and exponentially more opportunities to work and earn a living. But then a light switch clicked. I thought am I just going to give money away, or buy things for people? No, that will perpetuate a sense of dependency that can sometimes develop between those living in a country with less economic opportunity and those coming into a country to help in a developmental capacity. What, then, is the best way for me to both give back, besides the work that I am doing, and support the Zambians in a sustainable way? I came to the conclusion that buying souvenirs both supports the local economy and gives those vendors the confidence and drive to keep going and fuels their entrepreneurial spirits. So instead of buying the more fancy stuff that I saw in the South African airport or from bigger stores, I will, mostly, buy from the local shops that I get to visit in the towns. I may buy one or two things from the airport, but I will really focus on buying the things that the people are selling, less so the companies.

1 comment: