Saturday, April 29, 2017

Zambian Sky/A big day

Today was the big Zambian Christian University council meeting. While the administrators and other members of the council met, Ba-Pwetenge and Ba-Eland continued this week's work of making measurements for the renovations of at least 4 buildings which will become classrooms, offices and the like. Ba-Katengo and I continued to fine tune some of the computers that are going to be on the network while I filled his head with as much networking knowledge as I could this week. We had the opportunity to show the council the Raspberry Pi machines and how they worked. We also created a presentation slideshow with Libre office Impress (think of a free powerful version of PowerPoint) that was stored on the main server and accessed it (animations included I must say) from the Raspberry Pi to show how two operating systems could still communicate, how the files were compatible with both systems and also how we did it all with donated/very low cost equipment. This was probably one of the most important moments for me because it's almost validation that what I came to do, from a technical perspective, works.

The Zambian Sky, as I have alluded to in past posts, is incredible. If I had any artistic ability at all I would love to have the opportunity to just sit on a high peak somewhere and paint it as it changes each day. But I don't, so I use my camera phone to take pictures. Most have been as we drive, but today Dr. Thomas convinced me to go on the roof of the car to take a picture. Now, I'm not a petite man, and I'm not particularly graceful. BUT, as a man, I couldn't back down from the challenge. So I got on the roof and quickly made sure I stepped on the outside frame because I felt a dip. I took a few great snaps (as they are called in Zambia). I quickly remembered that I have a moderate fear of heights when I look up for some reason, and I basically jumped off of the roof of an SUV. But I landed safely, I know some of you may have expected something far worse . . . but I still have some athletic ability, lol. Here are a few snaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment